The Houston Pride Band is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of artistic director.
The artistic director serves as the principle conductor for the concert band activities and is responsible for the overall artistic direction of the band. This includes artistic season planning, repertoire selection, rehearsal planning and conducting. The artistic director works in collaboration with other members of the band leadership team to provide a fun, worthwhile experience for member musicians and guest artists.
• Collegiate education in music with a specialization in music education or conducting
• Proven experience in rehearsal and performance techniques of wind ensembles as well as a background with some collaborative experience with marching bands or pep bands
• Effective, adaptive and responsive communication skills, both in writing and public speaking
• The capacity to effectively represent the band publicly when called to do so
• Ability to work successfully and diplomatically with a community band membership that includes musicians of varying ages, backgrounds, ability and temperament
The board of directors will work closely with the artistic director to define role and expectations so that all involved may maintain a productive work-life balance.
Compensation includes a monthly stipend and reimbursement for approved expenses.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to send a letter of interest along with a resume/c.v. to email@example.com by February 28, 2018. If available, please include links to any music or video samples of previous conducting or rehearsal work. Selected finalists will participate in an interview and be asked to lead a sight-reading rehearsal (typically one hour) on a piece or pieces of their choosing. The board of directors may invite finalists to return to conduct one or more additional rehearsals on the same piece or a piece selected by the band’s artistic leadership.
For more information, please visit HoustonPrideBand.org.